The purpose of the Dance Ambassador program is to support a group of dance artists from the Greater Houston region with professional development opportunities, increased visibility, space for reflection and questioning during this challenging time, and access to a cohort of fellow ambassadors. Through the program, DSH seeks to learn about evolving community needs from each ambassador and their networks. A diversity of perspectives is a high priority, with a focus on elevating Black, POC, Indigenous, queer, trans, disabled, and immigrant artist voices. A maximum of 5 artists will be selected.
– Must reside in the Greater Houston region, defined by Austin, Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Montgomery, and Waller counties
– Be 18 years or older
– Be involved in the dance economy as a dancer, choreographer, dance educator, dance writer, dance historian or other dance-related worker
– Due to the current financial insecurities many artists are facing, a paid DSH membership is not a requirement. Membership will not impact the decision making process.
– Monthly cohort meeting with DSH staff (Second Sundays 9/13, 10/11, 11/8 and 12/13 at 6pm)
– Hold 1 community convening of ambassador’s invitees
– Attend at least 1 virtual community call each month (Tuesdays alternating weekly between 11am and 6pm)
– Serve as an ambassador to spread information about DSH’s programs and services and encourage engagement with the organization with members of your community
– Attend professional development workshops at no cost
– Receive staff support with proposal writing/editing, production planning, project budgeting, etc.
– Receive an artist spotlight on Facebook Live
– $600 stipend
The application deadline is Wednesday, September 2 at 11:59pm CT. The application is currently available at bit.ly/dshambassador20. All applicants will receive notification by Monday, September 7. For the artists selected the program will run September 13 – December 13, 2020.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.