Groundwork Grant – Call for Applications
Through support from Houston Endowment, Dance Source Houston is piloting the Groundwork Grant program to address the need for increased funding to support local dance makers. Dance Source Houston accepted applications from November 22, 2019 through Friday, January 24, 2020. Nonprofit dance companies and fiscally sponsored projects dedicated to the creation and presentation of all dance genres that are based within the Greater Houston region were encouraged to apply. Applications were paneled by a group of members of the dance community who represent a broad range of artistic and cultural perspectives.
Selected organizations and fiscally sponsored will be awarded grants in amounts of $4,000 or $9,000 depending on the age of the entity.
This program is a response to the findings and culminating report of Dance Source Houston’s recent needs assessment study of the Houston dance sector. Data revealed that, of the responding dance organizations, over half had operating budgets under $100,000 and all reported a small number of sources for support. The Houston dance landscape is rife with activity, but lacks sufficient funding to allow individuals and organizations within the community to thrive. Through the distribution of funds to small and mid-sized organizations, DSH aims to foster increased stability for the city’s dance field and advance the sector as a whole.
The priorities for the funding are in alignment with Dance Source Houston’s mission to empower the diverse individuals and organizations working in the field of dance throughout the Greater Houston region by means of advocacy, inclusive community engagement and support services.
- Are a dance organization or fiscally sponsored project focused on the performance and/or presentation of dance;
- Are based in the Greater Houston region, defined by Austin, Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Montgomery and Waller counties;
- Have a documented history of creating and presenting dance in the Greater Houston region;
- Have a documented history of paying fees to local dance artists for performance-based work;
- Can provide current proof of 501(c)(3) status or proof of fiscal sponsorship; and
- Are a current Dance Source Houston member at the intermediate or advanced level.
- A clear artistic vision and exhibition of artistic excellence, as defined by Animating Democracy’s Aesthetic Perspectives: Attributes of Excellence in Arts for Change;
- A clear explanation of how the funds would impact the organization;
- Organizational and financial health, regardless of budget size,
- A range of organizational models, budget sizes, dance genres and perspectives; and
- Representation of and service to audiences reflective of the Greater Houston region.
All applicants have been notified of the panelists’ decisions. If you have not received notification, please check your spam folder or log in to your Submittable account to view the message. Grantees will be announced in late March 2020 and will be celebrated at DSH’s April Cocktails and Chitchat event at Axelrad, 1517 Alabama on April 13 from 6-8pm.